The 3DTV group was closed March 2016. Remaining projects were moved into the newly created Immersive Media Group.
The 3DTV group was instrumental in the development of ITU-T Rec. P.914, P.915 and P.916.
The 3DTV project investigates how to assess 3DTV subjective video quality. The 3DTV workgroup has established four work items, which are progressing in parallel:
- Define suitable methodologies for subjective quality assessment of stereoscopic 3D video:
- A unique set of video sequences is being produced to conduct the experiments (GroTruQoE dataset).
- The first step will be to conduct a large-scale experiment using the pair-comparison methodology, as we are confident that subjects can provide easily a judgment of overall preference.
- Corresponding test plan is "Establishing a Ground Truth for Quality of Experience in 3D for assessment methodologies in 3D Video Quality Assessment" (GroTruQoE3D1). See the VQEG project archives.
- The second step will use the results of the pair-comparison testing as a groundtruth database to investigate which more time-efficient subjective testing methodology can be used to predict the results of the pair-comparison test.
- Investigate the influence of viewing environment, test set-up and display equipment on subjective quality
- The purpose is to investigate restrictions which should be imposed on the subjective testing environment and viewing conditions to obtain reliable results across test labs.
- A unique set of 3D test sequences (COSPA dataset) will be used by different research labs.
- Each test lab will study variables related to viewing environment/display equipment, and report experimental results for comparison with other labs' results.
- Corresponding test plan is "Evaluation and Specification of Viewing Conditions and Environmental Setup for 3D Video Quality Assessment". See the VQEG project archives.
- Objective video quality metrics for stereoscopic 3D
- 3D quality of experience is related to several perceptual dimensions such as visual quality, depth rendering (depth quality, depth quantity), and visual comfort. This first phase of evaluation will focus on the visual picture quality dimension and evaluate full-reference media-layer metrics (use of decoded pixel information).
- A test plan is being developed to set the terms of reference for the evaluation of the models.
- This work item is progressing in parallel with the work on subjective testing methodology.
- Corresponding test plan is "Evaluation of Video Quality Models for use with Stereoscopic Three-Dimensional Television Content". See the VQEG project archives.
- Analysis of frame compatible 3D video format representations
- In close collaboration with the DVB consortium, VQEG compares the visual impact of Side-by-Side, Top-Bottom, and Tile format in terms of Quality of Experience for Full-HD television transmissions at different bitrates.
- Various subjective assessment methodologies and appropriate statistical analysis tools are discussed.
- The DVB test plan version 1.0 (March 11, 2015). See the VQEG project archives.
The former work item on crosstalk is now part of the activity on the influence of viewing environment in the context of subjective testing methodology.
See the VQEG project archives for meeting minutes, test plans, and other files.
- Test plan for "Crosstalk" GoogleDoc