Upcoming Conference Calls
30 May, SAM, 9am MST, meet.google.com/ebb-qqfq-bkj
13 June, NORM, Metadata, 9am MST, link or join by phone (+1 719-283-1497) with PIN: 679 229 780)
20 June, NORM, SI/TI, 9am MST, Click here to join the meeting
27 June, SAM, 9am MST, meet.google.com/ebb-qqfq-bkj
14 July, 5G-KPI, 7:30am MST, Click here to join the meeting
December 2022, online VQEG meeting
VQEG Brings International Experts Together
- Government Organizations
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Other Standard-Developing Organizations (SDOs)
VQEG face-to-face meetings are held approximately twice each year. The meeting style is a mixture of conference style presentations and work related to active VQEG projects. Presentations on any topic related to video quality are always welcome.
- SIGMM Records: New topics, Jun. 2021 meeting
- VQEG eLetter, Nov. 2017: QoE evaluation of emerging immersive media technologies, including the current hot topics of virtual reality, omnidirectional content, point cloud and light field technologies.
The Video Quality Experts Group was first grounded in basic subjective methodology and objective tool development/verification for video quality assessment such that the industry could be moved forward with standardization and implementation. At the beginning it was focused around measuring the perceived video quality since the distribution path for video and audio were limited and known.
Over the last 20 years from the formation of VQEG the ecosystem has changed dramatically and thus so must the work. Multi-media is now pervasive on all devices and methods of distribution from broadcast to cellular data networks. This shift has the expertise within VQEG to move from the visual (no-audio) quality of video to Quality of Experience (QoE).
The march forward of technologies means that VQEG needs to react and be on the leading edge of developing, defining and deploying methods and tools that help address these new technologies and move the industry forward. This also means that we need to embrace both qualitative and quantitative ways of defining these new spaces and terms. Taking a holistic approach to QoE will enable VQEG to drive forward and faster with unprecedented collaboration and execution.
- Leverage resources from multiple organizations
- Combine individual research efforts into general solutions
- Convey industry needs to academic researchers
- Promote communication among researchers
- Develop new and improved methods
- Prove method validity
- Analyze cutting edge technologies' impact on perceived quality
- Drive new and improved international standards
VQEG submits reports to and liaises with regional and international SDOs in particular the ITU (R and T sectors).