VQEG Emerging Technologies Group (ETG)
The main objective of this group is to address various aspects of multimedia that do not fall under the scope of any of the existing VQEG groups. The topics addressed are not necessarily directly related to “video quality” but can indirectly impact the work addressed as part of VQEG. This group aims to provide a common platform for people to gather together and discuss new emerging topics, discuss possible collaborations in the form of joint survey papers/whitepapers, funding proposals, etc.
The group aims to conduct regular meetings where members will be invited to give short presentations on a topic of interest, followed by discussions. The group members can also invite presenters from outside the group/VQEQ, but this will need to be agreed upon by all group members and chairs.
The group was established during the VQEG Fall 2022 Meeting where the following two major topics of interest were identified:
- AI-based technologies:
- Super Resolution
- Learning based video compression
- Video coding for machines, etc.,
- Enhancement, Denoising and other pre- and post-filter techniques
- Anything which will affect the way we currently evaluate the quality of videos
- Greening of streaming and related trends
- For example trade-off between HDR and SDR to save energy and its impact on visual quality
- Ongoing Standards Activities (which might impact the QoE of end users and hence will be relevant for VQEG)
- 3GPP, SVTA, CTA WAVE, UHDF, etc.
Other identified emerging topics already addressed by existing VQEG groups:
- Metaverse (and related topics) are addressed by the Immersive Media Group (IMG)
- Healthcare/Telemedicine are addressed by Quality Assessment for Health Applications (QAH)
- Network technologies (5G/6G, SDN/NFV, etc.) are addressed by 5G
If you are interested in joining this group, please subscribe to email@example.com email reflector and also join the slack channel using this link.
Please note the reflector email will be the primary means of communicating all major decisions and meeting invites. However, we anticipate many informal discussions to take place in the slack channel, so please consider joining both.
If you want to suggest a new topic of interest, please email your suggestions to the group chairs which will then be discussed in the next group meeting.
The meeting minutes are available at VQEG Emerging Technologies Group Meeting Minutes
The meeting will take place over Google Meet, the link for which will be shared as a calendar invite to all group participants and also available on the VQEG home page.
For any queries or suggestions, please contact the group chair and vice chair.
[Chair] Nabajeet Barman, Brightcove (firstname.lastname@example.org)
[Vice Chair] Saman Zadtootaghaj, Sony Interactive Entertainment (email@example.com)